Accessing Free Treatment
There are a number of different ways to access free treatment for mental distress locally in Dunedin. For elsewhere in the country it may be best to ask your GP for contacts for your local services.
- Your GP can refer you to brief intervention at WellSouth for 4-6 sessions.
- Your GP can refer you to mental health services.
- For longer psychological help you need to request the long term support offered by Family Mental Health Services in Mosgiel . Ask your GP for referral.
- If you use WINZ, you may be eligible for 10 free counselling sessions! Talk to your case manager.
- If you are in paid employment, you may be able to access free counselling through your company’s Employee Assistance Programme. For more info visit www.eapservices.co.nz or talk to your employer.
- If you have experienced sexual abuse or assault you may be eligible for ACC support to pay for therapy with a clinical psychologist or psychotherapist. Ask your GP doctor about making a Sensitive Claim.
- Otago Mental Health Support Trust for peer and family support 0800 364 462
- Youthline Otago 03 477 24 61
- Kowhai Centre at Polytech 03 479 6198
- Arai Te Uru Whare Hauora in Dunedin (14 - 25 year old) 027 572 7456 or 03 471 9960